News & Notes
- DTE Home Energy Worksheets - I am asking that all DTE Home Energy Worksheets be returned to class. Even if you do not install the items, the completed surveys mean our class is eligible for a $100 classroom grant. Thank you to everyone who sent them in already.
- Literacy Walk - The kids had a great time at the Literacy Walk on Friday. We are close to meeting our school wide fundraising goal. The link will be live through the end of the month. Here's a link for more information.
- NGSX Training - Mrs. Housely and I are the Bennie representatives at the Next Generation Science Standards training. This five day training is spread out over three months. Take a look at this parent guide for more information on the skills that we will be studying and bringing back to Bennie.
- Re-tests - Did you know any assignment and/or assessment can be resubmitted for additional credit? Using a growth mindset model for teaching, my goal is to create a classroom culture that encourages students to keep learning. Hats off to the students who put in extra effort to improve scores in spelling and math already!
- Mon 10/16 - Run Club 3:30-4:00
- Wed 10/18 - Sports & Fitness Club after school
- Thurs 10/19 - PTA Movie Night "Fantastic Beasts" at 6:00pm
- Thurs 10/19 - Cooking Araceli's rice
What we're learning:
- Reading - As of 10/19, each student will have a personal reading learning goal in addition to their book club assignments.
- Word Study - Each day your child should write what "day" they are on in word study. Day 1 they get new words. Day 5 they take a spelling test.
- Writing - Our focus is writing complete sentences and using proper punctuation and capitalization. Also, based on an assignment last week, I realized we need to spend some time on the parts of speech. This week we will focus on understanding what nouns, verbs and adjectives are.
- Math - We are working on estimation, number theory and rounding.
- Studies - We will be learning about civics, specifically the three branches of government this week.
- Science - We have been studying how plants use their external structures to promote growth and survival.
- Cooking - We will be making Araceli's rice on Thursday.
- 3 cups long grain rice
- 4 tablespoons tomato bouillon
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 carrots
The literacy walk was the highlight of the week!
- Can you tell me what the three branches of government are? Who is the head of the executive branch? (Executive, Legislative, Judicial ... the president is the head of the executive branch)