News & Notes:
- Thank You - I am so grateful for all the ways big & small that you helped me celebrate "Teacher Appreciation Week". It is truly my joy to get to spend my days with your children. Thank you! Thank you!
- Concert - Bennie's 4th & 5th grade Vocal Music Concert is May 17 at 6:30 at the Allen Park Center for the Arts. Students must be on stage at 6:00pm
- Art in the Sky - We are having a Hat Day Fundraiser on Friday, May 18 to support our Art in the Sky Project. For $1 students may wear a hat to school.
- NWEA MAP Testing - Our final MAP testing will take place next week on Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Economics Field Trip - We will be walking to Dairy Queen on 5/23 to discuss Economics and enjoy ice cream. Thanks to the generosity of Room 107 families, the ice cream will be paid for from our Room 107 Field Trip Fund.
- Geocaching - The last week of school we will be going on a Geocache Scavenger Hunt around Bennie and Champaign Park (more details will be coming). The Scavenger Hunt ends with a picnic at Champaign Park. We need 9 volunteers to lead students on the scavenger hunt. New this year, all volunteers must have a background check. The plan is to have the scavenger hunt on Wednesday, June 13 with a rain date of June 14. Please let me know if you are able to join us by May 25 so we can ensure all background checks can be completed before our event.
- Thurs 5/17 - Bennie Vocal Music Concert AP Center for the Arts 6:30pm
- Mon 5/21 - Last Run Club 3:30-4:00
- Wed 5/23 - Walking Economics Field Trip to Dairy Queen
- Wed 5/23 - Last Sports & Fitness Club
- Thurs 5/24 - Economics Field Trip Rain Date
What We're Learning:
- Reading - We will be wrapping up book clubs in the next two weeks and then moving on to Reader's Theater.
- Word Study - Students should be bringing home a spelling test about every five days. As a reminder, students are able to retest on Fridays.
- Writing - We continue working on writing focus and adding details to our writing and are starting our "This I Believe" essays.
- Math - We are studying area and perimeter.
- Studies - Thanks to everyone who helped us interview people from other states! Our last big topic in social studies will be economics.
- Science - We have been exploring how the earth changes over time through the phenomena of petoskey stones.
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- 10 eggs
- MSTEP tests are done! Wahoo! I was so impressed with their stamina and focus on our state assessment! Way to persevere Kids in Room 107!
- Cupcake models for rock formation were a huge highlight! A tasty model for sure!
- Describe how your cupcakes in science were a model to explain rock formations? In which layer would the oldest fossils be found?