News & Notes:
- Parent/Teacher Conferences - Click here to sign up for a conference.
- Parent Training - Thursday, Feb 8 from 6:45-7:30. Join me for a parent training on ways you can support your child in reading and math. My goal is to provide you with tips and tricks that can be easily implemented in your homes! RSVP here.
- Valentine's Day/Chinese New Year - We will be celebrating both Valentine's Day and Chinese New Year on February 14 from 1:00-2:00. Families are welcome to join us! We'll learn a little more about Chinese New Year and have Sweetheart Floats as a treat! Please let me know if you can join us.
- Scholastic Book Fair - Our book fair will take place next week. Our class will be viewing on Monday and buying on Wednesday. The book fair will also be open during conferences.
- PTA Membership - Help your us win $75 in free Books - the class with the most memberships wins! If you haven’t joined Bennie’s PTA yet, PLEASE consider doing so. Joining PTA does not obligate you to attend meetings or volunteer of your time however, your $7.00 does help support educational programs and assemblies! Click here for a membership form.
What We're Learning:
- Reading - Each book club has both a fiction and non-fiction book they are reading. In addition, they will have weekly assignments on each book. All assignments can be completed in class. We work on reading and writing every morning for almost two hours.
- Word Study - As a reminder, students may retake spelling tests on Friday.
- Writing - As a group we have been focusing on brainstorming, developing and editing one piece o writing over a series of days.
- Math - We are studying comparing fractions, identifying equivalent fractions. We will begin adding and subtracting fractions next week.
- Studies - We will be studying Geography and the United States Regions through February.
- Science - Are starting to study waves.
- Wed-Thurs, Feb 7-8 - Parent/Teacher Conferences
- Thurs, Feb 8 - Parent training 6:45-7:30. Please RSVP here.
- Thursday, Feb 8 - Book Fair Buying
- Wednesday, Feb 14 - Valentine's Day/Chinese New Year Party 1:00-2:00
- 2 - 2 liters Red Pop
- 30 Large red plastic cups
- 2 gallons ice cream
Our science investigation on animal reaction time was a huge hit!
Can you name an equivalent fraction to 1/2? (Hint - think of your fraction strips. How many sixths were we equivalent to 1/2? How many fourths? Can you name others?)