News & Notes:
- NWEA MAP Test - next week we will be completing the mid-year NWEA reading and math assessments. The results from these tests will be used to guide classroom instruction.
- Scholastic Book Club - new book club orders are due Friday, Jan 19. Click here for information on how to order online.
- Cold Weather Gear - please send your child to school with boots, hats and gloves. If we can go outside we will! Students who do not have boots will not be able to play on the playground until the weather warms up.
- Mon, Jan 15 - No school for students
- Tue, Jan 16 - NWEA reading
- Wed, Jan 17 - Sports & Fitness
- Thurs, Jan 18 - NWEA math
- Thurs, Jan 18 - Cooking Damon's deviled eggs (next week Bridget's No Bake Cookies)
- Fri, Jan 19 - Poetry Reciting - winter theme
What We're Learning:
- Reading - We have begun our latest whole class book "Shipwreck at the Bottom of the World". We have begun our poetry reciting project. Our first week was fantastic!! Next week's poem must be about winter.
- Word Study - All new groups have their first words of the year.
- Writing - Sometimes where to begin writing is the hardest part of the writing process. I have asked your children to bring in a picture from a family event or trip to use as a "photo prompt" for a writing assignment.
- Math - Our focus is multi-digit division. Here's a game from the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics that the kids have played during our "math tech" rounds - Quotient Cafe.
- Studies - We have begun our unit on Geography and the United States Regions. Please check out the family homework assignment that is due on Tuesday, Jan 16.
- Science - We continue to explore how animals use their external and internal structures to promote growth and survival by exploring the phenomenon of a grizzly bear catching fish.
- Cooking - We will be making Bridget's No Bake Cookies.
- 2 dozen eggs
- 4 sticks butter
- 2 cups milk
- 4 cups peanut butter
- 10 cups quick oats
Describe the relative location of the United States. (Answers can include - north of Mexico, south of Canada, north/west hemisphere)