News & Notes:
- It's great to be back! It truly has been wonderful to be back in Room 107 with your children. A big thanks to Mrs. Mattoon for taking over in my absence.
- Speaking of Mrs. Mattoon. She will take over again on Friday, March 5 - Tuesday, March 9 while I assist my husband during his hip surgery and recovery. I'll be back on Wednesday, March 10.
- NWEA Reports - Students are bringing home NWEA reports today. As a reminder, these reports are intended to help guide teachers as to how best meet the needs of your children. Learning in the pandemic has been quite different - performance on standardized tests such as this may be impacted. However, they are only one piece in our assessment puzzle and we work hard here at Bennie to meet the needs of all students. All that being said, please let me know if you have any questions or concerns!
- Winter Sowing - As part of our science studies, we will be growing flowers for the courtyard. Ideally, I'd like to have each student create their own mini-greenhouse. Please send in empty pop bottles, 1/2 gallon or gallon jugs. If possible, please remove labels.
- Brain Breaks - Weather permitting, we will go outside for a brain break twice a day. Our location changes each day to ensure classes do not mix. Students will need boots or a extra pair of shoes to be able to play on our grassy area (it gets a bit muddy this time of year).
- Monday, March 1 - Picture Day
- Tuesday & Wednesday, March 2-3 - Asynchronous learning only. There will be no zooms or face to face learning. Assignments will be posted in Google Classroom each day.
- Thursday, March 4 - Virtual field trip with the Detroit Institute of the Arts in the afternoon.
- Friday, March 5 - Tuesday, March 9 - Mrs. Mattoon will be the lead teacher in Room 107.
What we're Learning
Reading & Writing
- Book of the day- Our target skill this week is inferring and predicting.
- We continue to focus on identifying important information in the texts we read.
- We will focus on writing stamina, as well as capitalization and punctuation.
- Our word study/spelling focus is on prefixes.
- We will be working on a Newbery Book report for the month of March. Students should be able to complete the project in class or during their Wednesday Remote 1/2 days.
- We have begun a new "mission" in Zearn. We will be focusing on multiplication and division for the next three weeks.
- We're investigating quite a bit in science! Birds have been an exciting topic in Room 107 this week!
- We will be observing the changes in our Bennie Courtyard habitat.
- Our next unit of focus will be on waves.
- We continue to study geography with an emphasis on human migration.
Whoose Reading is back! Be sure to log in and create your account.