News & Notes:
- Thank you! - It's been a great start to the school year! Thank you for all you do to help prepare your child for their school day each day. Thank you also for the supplies you sent in to support our learning. I really do appreciate it!
- Water & Snack - Students are encouraged to bring a water bottle (filled with water only) to school and are welcome to bring a healthy snack. Sweet treats will be saved for lunch time.
- Meet the Teacher Night - I'm really excited about the chance to meet all of you next Thursday at Meet the Teacher Night. I look forward to sharing our classroom with you.
- From Mrs. Ferrante - Dear Bobcats and Families - I hope your first week of fourth grade is going well! My name is Mrs. Ferrante and I am very excited to co-teach with Mrs.Klein again this year. This is my 13th year teaching and my second in Allen Park. I’ve taught kindergarten, second, fourth, fifth and middle school. My role in APPS as the ELL-teacher (language support teacher) allows me to work with kids from all grade levels. Although I will be splitting my time between all the elementary schools and multiple classrooms, Room 107 is one of my favorite places to be! I’m excited to work with your child this year as they grow, learn and explore!
- Mon, Sept. 9 - School Board Meeting 7:00pm in the LGI Room at APHS
- Thurs, Sept. 12 - Meet the Teacher Night 6:30pm
- Fri, Sept. 13 - Room 107's Very Merry Unbirthday Celebration
What We're Learning:
- Reading - We're listening to "Love, Ruby Lavender". We have already begun to practice the reading strategy of inference - by making predictions and describing how the characters are feeling and why.
- Math - This week we worked on real-life (or classroom!) story problems by creating fractions and multiplication problems from our activities.
- Team Building - We go slow to go fast ... much of what we are doing at the beginning of the year is creating our classroom culture. We have had so many wonderful discussions (how do athletes use "brave breaths" before performing), great books ("Say Something!") and activities ("chain of strengths") to help us build our classroom community. It's going to be a great year!
Exploring our caterpillars up close!
- Each student had a chance to share 5 things that they are proud of or love in their "Who am I? Pillowcases". That's a lot of listening! Ask your child what we do to show we are listening to our classmates. (Hint - voices off, eyes on speaker, bodies still)
- Also - ask your child to tell you about the team building activities I mentioned in our "what we're learning section".