News & Notes:
- Mid-Winter Testing - We have been working on our NWEA and reading assessments. I expect all testing will be completed by the end of next week.
- Website Changes - My goal for the new year is to update our Kids in Room 107 website. I have begun the work on our math page. Note that there are currently two math tabs. Once I have migrated all the information to the new and improved "math 2020", I will delete the old page. For now, do check out the link to multiplication support. There are lots of great resources for students and families.
- Progress Reports - Progress reports are going home weekly. Once a month they will include more detailed academic information (look for that this week). Please sign and return the reports to school and do let me know if you have any questions.
- Mon, Jan 13 - NWEA testing
- Wed, Jan 13 - NWEA testing
- Wed, Jan 13 - Sports & Fitness Club
- Thurs, Jan 14 - Cooking Lucy & Phoebe's shortbread cookies
- Fri, Jan 15 - APHS Drama performance at 1:30
What we're Learning:
- Reading - Our focus is on analyzing texts and making connections.
- Word Study - New groups have been formed. As a reminder, students are given a set of their spelling words to practice at home each time they receive a new list.
- Writing - We are working on revising text, especially looking for run on sentences and the use of the word "and"
- Math - We are practicing division daily. In addition, we have begun our unit on fractions.
- Science - We are investigating the phenomena of our Pictured Rocks National Park in the upper peninsula. And seeing to answer the question, "How was Pictured Rocks formed?"
- Social Studies - We are studying the regions of the United States. We will be Videoconferencing with family and friends from other states next Wednesday. It's not too late to invite someone you need to talk with our class!
- Cooking - We'll be making Lucy & Phoebe's shortbread recipes this week.
- Classroom Community - We selected new affirmations for January - ask your child which one they chose and why!
- We are cooking on Thursday - Sorry, this is a late wish list!!
- 4 cups butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 9 1/2 cups flour
- The kids have been working on their models of how Pictured Rocks was formed. There is always a great deal of excitement in the classroom when doing science!
- What is half of a half? (Hint remind your child of their fraction strips and "The Lion's Share" - what happened when we folded our 1/2 strip in half?