News & Notes:
- Jonathan Rand - We're excited that the PTA is bringing Jonathan Rand (the author of the Michigan Chillers series) to Bennie! We've been reading parts of his books in anticipation of his presentation and talking about his use of vivid language.
- DIA Field Trip - The 4th grade classes will be going to the DIA next Tuesday. This field trip is free, thanks in part to a grant from the DIA. We are looking for chaperones to join us. Please let me know by Thursday if you are able to come.
- Halloween/Dia de los Muertos - We will be celebrating both Halloween & Dia de los Muertos on Oct. 31. Information regarding our celebration will come home on Friday, Oct 25. Families are welcome to join us. The schedule for the day is as follows:
- 9:00-9:45 - Class party
- 9:45-10:30 - Specials class - library
- 10:45 - Bennie Halloween Parade
- 11:30 - 1/2 day dismissal for students
- Mon, Oct 21 - Run Club
- Tues, Oct 22 - Jonathan Rand Assembly
- Wed, Oct 23 - "Great Pumpkin Caper" science activity with Kindergarten buddies
- Fri, Oct 25 - PBIS Clubs
What We're Learning:
- Reading - We continue to work on identifying main ideas. We also have been talking about biographies. The kids are working on an in class mini-biography project.
- Writing - The goal for fourth graders is to be able to write two paragraphs - we have been working on using vivid language in our writing.
- Math - Our focus is on factors and multiples. Each day we do a "number talk" in which the kids are asked to solve mental math problems and discuss the different strategies we can use to solve the problem.
- Science - This week the kids have been sharing their group models that show the ways change is occurring in our courtyard and the evidence they observed.
- Social Studies - We have been tying our biography projects with our social studies as we talk about famous American's who have worked for the common good in our country.
- Cooking - We'll be baking pumpkin seeds after our pumpkin caper this week.
- Classroom Community - We have been talking and writing about how how our brain works ... see the ask me below!
- Field Trip Chaperones
- Cooking continues to be a weekly highlight for the class! Thank you to everyone who donates supplies to make these recipes possible.
- Show me with your hand how the brain works? What does your "lizard brain" do? What does it feel like when your "lizard brain" is in control? What does your "owl brain" do? What does it feel like when your "owl brain" is in control?