News & Notes:
- Report Cards - Paper report cards will NOT be sent home this year. Families will be able to login to Parent Connect to view or print report cards on Friday after 4:00pm. Please contact Mrs. Magee in our office if you have any questions regarding your Parent Connect account.
- Holiday Concert - Mr. Skebo has sent home information about this year's Bennie Winter Vocal Concert. Here are some key details for next week: "The concert will be held at 6:30pm on Thursday, December 12th, 2019 at the Allen Park Center for theArts. Admission is free; doors will open at 6:00pm. All students need to be onstage in their concert attire by 6:05pm. All students are expected to perform in the concert. If for some reason your student
cannot make the performance, I will need an email/note from you by Monday, Dec. 2nd."
- Holiday Events in Room 107 - We will be having a class potluck on Friday, December 20 from 12:00-1:30. Details will go home next week. Families are welcome to attend!
- PTA Dine to Donate - Bennie's next "Dine to Donate" fundraiser is Wednesday, December 18.
- Art Project Supplies - The kids will be designing gingerbread houses to create in Art Class with Mrs. Cunningham. These creations will be gifts for the residents at Heartland Nursing Home. We are in need of 30 milk/juice cartons (see below) by next Wednesday, December 11 at 10:00am.
- Wed, Dec 11 - Sports and Fitness Club
- Thurs, Dec 12 - Bennie 4th & 5th Grade Winter Vocal Concert at the Center for the Performing Arts at 6:30pm
- Fri, Dec 13 - 1/2 day for students, dismissal at 11:30am
What We're Learning:
- Reading - We have been practicing the concept of summarizing with a particular focus on sequencing main events.
- Writing - We have been working on using transitions in our writing and continue to practice writing every day.
- Math - In order to be a Bennie Math Fact Master 4th graders must be able to complete 25 multiplication problems in three minutes. There are several games on our class website to practice multiplication. Here's one to help with a "mad math" type practice.
- Science - We are investigating how animals use their internal and external structures to promote growth and survival.
- Social Studies - We are studying the regions of the United States, including the habitats found in our country.
- Cooking - We'll be making Moon Ball cookies this week!
- Classroom Community - We have started working toward a classroom Kindness Goal. When we fill up our jar, our class will earn a game day (electronic or board games!)
- 30 empty cartons (Orange juice, coffee creamer, milk carton)
- 4 cups peanut butter
- 4 cups chocolate chips
- 2 2/3 cup honey
- 4 cups dry mild
- 8 cups rice krispies
Our trip to the High School to donate toys and money to the annual toy drive was a huge hit! As was our brownie making that morning!
Our main character in "Esperanza Rising", Esperanza, has changed dramatically from the beginning of the book to where we are at now (almost finished!!) Ask your child to describe what has changed for Esperanza and how she is feeling now.