News & Notes:
- Box Tops for Education - As a fundraiser, our PTA collects box tops from food/household products. Our first class incentive will be doughnuts and juice for the class who has collected the most Box Tops from 9/4/18-1/7/19. The second class incentive will be an ice cream sundae bar for the class who has collected the most Box Tops from 1/8/19-5/31/19. Last but not least the teacher whose class has collected the most Box Tops throughout the 18-19 school year will win a gift card to use on activities, books or games for his/her classroom. So, send in those Box Tops!
- PTA Membership - PTA memberships help support our Bennie family in many ways. For example our great author visit this week was paid for by the Bennie PTA. Please consider joining them! Click here for information.
- Lansing Save the Date - Our Field Trip to Lansing is on Monday, November 5th. A "Save the Date" flyer went home on Friday. If you are interested in chaperoning, please let me know!
- Sports and Fitness - Sports and Fitness After School Club starts next Wednesday. Click here to sign up.
- Progress Reports - September progress reports are coming home. This is a snapshot of your child's learning at this point. Please sign and return.
- What are they Learning in 4th Grade? - Join me on Thursday, Oct 4 from 5:30-6:30 and learn some tips and tricks to support your 4th graders reading at home.
- Mon, Oct 1 - Run Club 3:30-4:00
- Wed, Oct 3 - National Walk and Bike to School Day
- Thurs, Oct 4 - "What are they learning in 4th Grade?" with Mrs. Klein 5:30-6:30
- Thurs, Oct 4 - Bennie PTA Meeting at 6:30, childcare provided
- Thurs, Oct 4 - Cooking Daniel's quesadillas
- Fri, Oct 5 - 1/2 day for students. Dismissal is at 11:30am.
What we are Learning:
- Reading - We have been focusing on choosing "good fit books", checking for understanding and making predictions. We are listening to the book "Love, Ruby Lavender" as a whole class.
- Writing - We are building writing stamina and using correct capitalization.
- Math - We start our year working on place value. We will begin to work on estimation next week.
- Social Studies - We are studying the history of the US Constitution and how our government is organized.
- Science - We are asking questions and will begin to conduct investigations relating the speed of an object to the energy of an object.
- Cooking - We will be making quesadillas on Thursday.
- Paper plates
- Our Very Merry Unbirthday Party was a big hit last week - as well as cooking our first two recipes!
- We are the three natural rights that Founders believe government should protect? (Answer: Life, Liberty and Property).
- What would happen if there was no government - no rules or laws?