News & Notes:
- Testing - We will be in testing season for a few weeks. Next week MSTEP continues. Ask your child to describe how we begin the testing day ("Eye of the Tiger" has been playing to get us motivated!) and how they feel about the new procedures of only testing for a half hour before pausing for the day.
- Projects - Our afternoons on testing days include many project based learning opportunities. We'll be cooking a couple of times each week, dissecting owl pellets, conducting regions investigations and more.
- MSTEP tests continue this week
- Mon, May 6 - Run Club
- Wed, May 8 - Sports & Fitness Club
What are we Learning:
- Reading - Our whole class book is "Bud, Not Buddy". Ask your child to choose three adjectives to describe the book.
- Word Study - Word study is on pause for this week. We are only doing three rounds of Daily 5 right now.
- Writing - We are focusing on more figurative language
- Math - We are studying geometry.
- Social Studies - Students have been assigned a region to investigate. We'll compare our Midwest Region to all other regions in the US once they have completed their in-class project.
- Science - We will begin to explore how animals use their internal and external structures.
- Cooking - This week we'll enjoy Alex & Nick's recipes - icing and sugar cookies! A lot of great fraction work in our recipes this week!!
- 3 cups butter
- 5 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons vanilla
- pencils sharpened
- The weekly highlight is my highlight this week ... I am so impressed with how much effort the class if putting into our MSTEP test. They are focused, engaged and clearly working hard. They are truly doing their best!
- We've begun our "This I Believe" essay project and are listening to an essay a day. Ask your child which essay has been their favorite so far and why.