News & Notes:
- One Book, One School - We've really enjoyed participating in the one book, one school program! We have had great class discussions about "Poppy". Here's a link to questions you can ask your child at home.
- Whooo's Reading - Mrs. Metzger has challenged the school to read over 150,000 minutes. We are currently at 132,169 minutes! As an extra goal, if every kid in room 107 logs minutes, we will have a PJ Day in Room 107.
- Scholastic Book Order - I will be placing a Scholastic Book Order next Friday, March 22. You can order great books for your 4th grader online as well. Click here for directions.
- Report Cards - Second Trimester Report Cards go home on Friday, March 15
- Math Volunteers - If you like to play games with kids and have an hour to spare, I am looking for volunteers to come play math games to help our class practice their basic multiplication and division problems on Wednesday afternoons from 1-2. Please let me know if you can help out.
- Vocabulary Quiz - Each weekly we'll have a vocabulary quiz on Wednesday. You can find this week's list on our vocabulary word page.
- Fri-Sun, March 15-17 - High School Musical at the Center for the Arts
- Wed, March 20 - Sports and Fitness Club
- Thurs, March 21 - Cooking Allyanne's Adobo Chicken
- Fri-Sat, March 22-23 - High School Musical at the Center for the Arts
What we're Learning:
- Reading - In addition to our one book, one school, we are reading "Esperanza Rising" as a class. We have been focusing on the reading strategies of making predictions and visualizing.
- Word Study - All students received word study spelling tests this week. As a reminder, they can practice their words even after they take a test and have the option to retest if they would like.
- Writing - We have been increasing our writing stamina and focusing on vocabulary usage in our writing (using vivid words).
- Math - We continue to work on equivalent fractions and are moving into decimals. Here's a great equivalent fraction math game you can play with your child.
- Social Studies - We are studying geography and US regions. In addition we are participating in the Journey North mystery class project that combines social studies, math, and reading skills. Click here for more information.
- Science - We are moving into life science and have wrapped up our study of fossils and rock formations through our examination of the phenomena of Michigan's Pictured Rocks.
- Cooking - This week we'll enjoy Allyanne's Adobo Chicken
- pencils (sharpened preferred)
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 cup soy sauce
We've had great things going on in Room 107 ... from cooking two mac & cheese recipes to observing the frozen "pond", to the Pistons Assembly, ACE Awards and Math Fact Masters and more ...
- Is your Mystery Class in the northern or southern hemisphere? And, how do you know?