News & Notes:
- Biography Project - Projects are due this week. There has been class time to work on the project. Click here for more information on the project.
- Cold Weather Gear - Weather permitting, we will be going out every day. Be sure to send hats and gloves with your child ... nothing beats running around outside for a healthy brain break from all our hard work and studies show recess has a positive impact on student learning!
- Bowling - Thunderbowl is offering an afterschool bowling club starting next week. They have been a great partner for our physical education department!
- Progress Reports - Progress Reports went home today. Please sign and return the bottom portion. For those students who need extra practice with factors, I sent home a game we have played in class as a resource to practice at home. In addition, for all students, Exact Path is a great website to work on both math and reading skills at your student's level. The link is on the homepage of our website.
- Mon, Jan 28 - APPS School Board Meeting 7:00pm at the High School
- Tues, Jan 29 - Bennie Family Fun Night at 6:30pm
- Wed, Jan 30 - Sports and Fitness Club
- Thurs, Jan 31 - Bennie PTA Meeting at 6:30, childcare provided
What we're Learning:
- Reading - Book clubs meet each week to talk about the books they are reading. As a whole class, we have been working on being able to identify genres.
- Word Study - All students received word study spelling tests this week. As a reminder, they can practice their words even after they take a test and have the option to retest if they would like.
- Writing - Our focus is on adding details and revising our writing.
- Math - We will be continuing to practice division daily. Our focus now is on fractions. Specifically right now on identifying equivalent fractions.
- Social Studies - We are studying geography and US regions
- Science - We are studying how the earth has changed over time. In addition, we have been observing an amaryllis' growth in our classroom and the bird feeder outside our window.
- Cooking - This week we'll enjoy Alliyah's Chocolate Banana Power Smoothie.
- 24 ounces of vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1 cup chocolate milk
- The bird feeder continues to be a highlight. This week we saw an uncommon bird of prey - a Cooper's Hawk. Thank you to Dr. Joanne Szalai for the assistance in identification! Check out a clip of the bird we saw!!
- Can you name three equivalent fractions to 1/2? (Potential Answers - 2/4, 4/8, 5/10)