News & Notes:
- Biography Project - Students should finish reading their biography books and complete the graphic organize by Friday. There is class time to complete both assignments! Click here for more information on the project.
- Cold Weather Gear - Weather permitting, we will be going out every day. Be sure to send hats and gloves with your child ... nothing beats running around outside for a healthy brain break from all our hard work and studies show recess has a positive impact on student learning!
- Box Tops - Wahoo! Room 107 won the box top collection contest. Thank you to the PTA for the donut and juice treat.
- Winter Testing - Midway through our year means winter testing season is upon us. We have completed the NWEA math and reading assessments and Mrs. Ferrante and I will be reading with the kids in room 107 to reassess their reading levels.
Mon, Jan 14 - NWEA Math test
- Wed, Jan 16 - Sports & Fitness Club
- Fri, Jan 18 - High School Drama Performance at the AP Center for the Performing Arts
- Mon, Jan 21 - No school for students
What we're Learning:
- Reading - Using our new "Journeys" curriculum, we've been focusing on monitoring and clarifying our reading. Good readers are able to self-correct as they read.
- Word Study - We have had a slow start to our word study program in 2019 as we have made class time for our NWEA testing. Each group has words, but none have yet had a spelling test.
- Writing - Our focus is on adding details and revising our writing.
- Math - We will be continuing to practice double digit multiplication and division daily. A key component to mathematics success is being able to perform basic multiplication and division easily.
- Social Studies - We are studying geography and US regions
- Science - We are studying how the earth has changed over time. In addition, we have been observing an amaryllis' growth in our classroom and the bird feeder outside our window.
- Cooking - Claire's tacos got postponed in the fall. We'll try again this Thursday!
- We had two highlights last week ... the picture captures both. First, we are excited to add a new friend to Room 107. Klejvis joins us from Greece - it has been fun to learn a few words in Greek as he learns English! Second, we filled the bird-feeder outside our window and have begun to measure how much the birds eat on a daily basis. We've had some interesting questions already about our feathered friends in the courtyard!
Tell me about the amaryllis in your class. What have you noticed in the last week?