News & Notes:
- Lansing - Thank you to everyone who was able to join us on our Lansing Field Trip. If you have pictures from your photo scavenger hunt, please share them with me if you are able. You can email them here.
- Common Good Field Trip - In this season of Thanksgiving, as we learn about our constitution and the responsibilities of citizenship, we will put our cooking skills to work and make muffins for those who serve our community. On Monday, November 19 we will make 12 dozen muffins. On Tuesday, November 20 we will go visit the police station, fire station and nursing home with baskets of muffins to share. The cost of this field trip will be covered by my "room 107 field trip fund".
- Save the Date - "Simulated Congressional Hearing" - to wrap up our studies of the U.S. government and our Constitution, Friday November 30 from 11-12:00 our class will be participating in a "Simulated Congressional Hearing". They will act as Constitutional experts and answer questions from a "congresesional" panel consisting of Mrs. Metzger, AP School Board Member Elect Mr. Klein, Mr. Hales from Wayne County RESA and a representative from our local congressional office. This event allows the Kids in Room 107 to showcase what they have learned. A brief reception will follow.
- Mon, Nov 19 - Cooking muffins
- Tues, Nov 20 - Common Good Field Trip to AP Fire Station, Police Station and Nursing Home
- Tues, Nov 20 - 1/2 Day for Students. Dismissal at 11:30
- Wed-Sun, Nov 21-25 - Thanksgiving Break
What we are Learning:
- Reading - Using our new "Journeys" curriculum, we've been focusing on biographies and identifying the author's purpose.
- Word Study - Word study groups will be changing slightly after Thanksgiving.
- Writing - Our focus this week was on supporting our main idea with details.
- Math - We will be focusing on double and triple digit multiplication for the next several weeks.
- Social Studies - We are wrapping up the history of the US Constitution and how our government is organized.
- Science - We are investigating transfer of energy through conducting experiments.
- Cooking - Muffins, muffins, muffins will be our next recipe.
- Such a great couple of weeks it's hard to choose ... Lansing, student-led conferences, science investigations, book fair and more ... There is a lot to be grateful for!!
- Tell me about the four Freedoms of Expression and what do they mean. (Hint: freedom of press, speech, petition, assembly).