News & Notes:
- Economics Field Trip - As a culminating activity for our study of Economics, we'll be walking to a local AP business (Dairy Queen) and discussing their use of resources, competition, and incentives offered ... all while enjoying an ice cream. There is no cost to this field trip thanks to the generosity of those who have contributed to my field trip fund. Now all we need is the weather to cooperate! Hopefully we can go on Thursday, June 1.
- Water - On the warm days, it gets very hot in our classroom. Water bottles, shorts, deodorant are all welcome items!!
- Classroom Figits - I am missing several of our class figit toys. If you see them around your home, or in backpacks, please have your child return them to the classroom.
- Scholastic Book Order - Today, May 26 is the last day to order scholastic books. Click here to access the online ordering. With the points earned from classroom orders this year, I have been able to purchase small group sets of books such as: "Harvesting Hope", "Esperanza Rising", "Ghosts", "Turning 15 on the Road to Freedom", "Weird but True" and more. Thank you for helping support our classroom library!
- This I Believe - If you haven't had a chance to check them out, all our essays are on our This I Believe website.
- Wednesday, May 31 - Sports and Fitness club meets after school
- Thursday, June 1 - Garden Club meets from 3:30-4:30, students dismissed out the front doors of the school
- Thursday, June 1 - All book club books need to be returned
- Thursday, June 1 - PTA meeting at 6:30 in the cafeteria. Childcare provided.
What we're Learning:
- Language Arts - We are actively working on our "This I Believe" essays and reviewing the reading strategies we have used this year. Our book clubs are sharing their last couple of books together.
- Math - We are studying conversion of measurements from both metric and customary systems.
- Social Studies - We are wrapping up our study of Economics.
- Science - We are ending the year with a medley of science experiments and activities! We'll be answering questions like: Does sunscreen really block UV rays? How does blubber help polar bears?
- Cooking - This week we will be making Christian's zucchini bread
- 1 dozen eggs
- 12 cups grated zucchini (we'll actually grate the zucchini in class we just need enough to get 12 cups)
- 6 cups flour
Each week that we cook, our cooking experience is often one of the things the kids say is their highlight of the week. This week, Mya's Loaded Baked Potato Soup was simple and tasty! It was a huge hit!
- How do owls use there external structures to support growth and survival?