News & Notes:
- Cold Weather Gear - Students go outside for recess on most days, please be sure to dress your child for the weather. Letters went home detailing the policy.
- NWEA Testing - Mid-year NWEA MAP testing begins this week. I will use these tests to see where the kids are at this half-way point in math and reading ... and where I can adjust my teaching to meet their needs. I will be sending the student progress reports home with their report cards at the end of the month.
- Scholastic Book Orders - Book orders for January went home today. Orders are due next Friday, January 20. Click here to learn how to order online.
What are we Learning:
- Language Arts - We are focusing on text features in non-fiction text and continue to read "Shipwreck at the Bottom of the World" together. All book clubs have new assignments due next week.
- Word study - As of Wednesday, all groups have their new set of word study words.
- Math - We are beginning a unit on fractions. Our 2nd quarter assessment is coming up quickly. It will test double and triple digit multiplication, long division and fraction equivalence. A review sheet will go home with next week's homework packet (1/20).
- Social Studies - As part of our geography studies we will be learning about the different types of maps. We've been looking at the map of the world as we've been talking about the adventures of Earnest Shackleton and the crew on the Endurance. (our whole class book)
- Science - We are studying how plants and animals use external and internal structures to survive in their environments.
- Cooking - We'll be cooking Connor's Goulash on Thursday.
- Mon, Jan 16 - NWEA MAP test Reading
- Tues, Jan 17 - NWEA MAP test Math
- Wed, Jan 18 1/2 Day for students, dismissal at 11:40
- Thurs, Jan 19 - Cooking - Connor's Goulash
- Thurs, Jan 19 - Tech Club 3:30-4:30
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 4 cans Campbell's tomato soup
- 1 pound elbow noodles
- yoga mats
- WOW!! What a fantastic start to the new year. The kids really did a great job getting back into the swing of things here in Room 107. They really have worked hard this week!
- Show me your word study words for this week. What pattern are you working on (or what is your learning target?
- What are you reading in your book club?