News & Notes:
- Tech Club - Sign ups are due on Monday for Tech Club. As a note, Tech Club will take place once a week on Thursdays from 3:30-4:30
- Flexible Seating - We will be making the transition to flexible seating this week. As we pilot this new learning environment I will be seeking feedback from students and families. I am excited about this opportunity to create a a classroom environment that allows for a more individualized approach to learning. Please note on the wishlist, if you have any bean bag chairs, camp chairs, etc that you are not using, we'd love to add them to the seating options in our room!
- Toys for Tots - On Tuesday, December 13 we will be participating in the Toys for Tots Holiday Party at the High School. We will be making cookies this week and next to bring to the party. Students are invited to bring in a book, toy or money to donate to the event. It is a great way to celebrate the season and give back to our community!
- Mitten Tree - The Rose Grudzinski Mitten tree is back by the Cafeteria! Bennie families are invited to donate new hats, gloves, and blankets at any time during the holiday season.
- Field Trip Account - In lieu of gifts to me this holiday season, I would like you to consider donating to our class Field Trip Account. Mrs. Magee in the office is keeping track of the money. She will inform me of who donates to the fund, but not the amounts—so I may recognize the students with thank you notes. We will use the money from our Field Trip fund to offset the costs of future field trips.
What we are Learning:
- Language Arts - All book club groups have had a chance to work on creating an iMovie from the books that they finish. Each week they are given assignments based on the books they are reading.
- Word study - I reassessed the word study level of the class and shuffled the groups based on the results. The words your student are working on represent spelling patterns they have not yet mastered.
- Math - We are working on double and triple digit multiplication and will start long division this week.
- Social Studies - We will be focusing on United States regions for the remainder of the quarter.
- Science - We are studying how plants use external and internal structures to survive in their environments.
- Cooking - We'll be cooking Kate's shortbread on Thursday.
- Tuesday, December 6 - Bennie Gives Back Night 6:00pm
- Wednesday, December 7 - 1/2 Day
- Thursday, December 8 - Cooking Kate's Shortbread recipe
- Thursday, December 8 - Tech Club 3:30-4:30, students dismissed out the front of the school
- Thursday, December 8 - Bennie PTA Meeting, 6:30pm. Childcare provided.
- 2 pounds butter
- coffee table, bean bag chairs, body pillows, camp chairs
- Listening to the Kids in Room 107 celebrate their learning at conferences this week was a big highlight! The kids worked hard to prepare for you!
- How do the external structures of structures of plants help them to survive? (Hint - seeds allow for reproduction, thorns offer protection from predators, leaves and stems help provide the nutrients (food) plants need).