News & Notes:
- Thank you to everyone who was able to come watch our Halloween Parade and help with our class party! The kids were really looking foreword to all the holiday activities!
- I still have four spots available for chaperones to the Wayne State Planetarium on Friday, November 13. Let me know if you are interested in joining us.
- The monthly PTA meeting is next Thursday at 6:30. All are welcome and childcare is available. If you have not joined the Bennie PTA, please consider doing so (click here for details). It is thanks to the PTA that we are able to provide things like today's Magic Show!
What are we learning:
- Math - We are focusing on factors, multiples, prime and composite numbers ... all in preparation to begin tackling 2x2 and 2x3 digit multiplication.
- Daily 5 - When we cook, the kids not actively cooking are working on their Daily Five.
- Biography Projects - Graphic Organizers are due on Monday, Nov 2.
- Science - We will begin to study electrical circuits after our DTE assembly on Wednesday. Please return the bottom portion of the DTE flyer on Monday if you do NOT want your child to receive the free energy efficiency kit.
- Social Studies - We are continuing to study the Constitution and Civics. The kids will be hosting a "Simulated Congressional Hearing" on Thursday, November 12 at 11:00. Families are welcome to join us. Details will go home on Monday.
- Cooking - This week we'll be making Ellora's Tostadas
- Monday, Nov 2 - Biography Project graphic organizers due
- Tuesday, Nov 3 - no school for students
- Wednesday, Nov 4 - cooking Ellora's tostadas, DTE assembly, Sports and Fitness Club after school
- Thursday, Nov 5 - PTA meeting at 6:30pm
- Thursday, Nov 12 - Simulated Congressional Hearing (details coming home on Monday)
- 2 packages Tostada shells
- 1 pound ground round
- 1 can La Costena refried beans
- 1 small onion
- 1 head of lettuce
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 wheel of queso fresco
- We made our first "student" recipe this week - Aubrey's Pasta Salad! It's always fun to hear, "I don't normally like salad, but I'm going to try this!" It's amazing how willing a picky eater can be to try something they helped make in the class! Overall, a big thumbs up on the pasta salad. If you'd like a copy of any of our recipes, click here to check out our recipe page.
- What are three similarities between the holidays of Halloween and Dia de los Muertos? What are three differences?
- How many card flips did you have this month? If you had any, what was your card flipped for and what can you do to make sure that it doesn't happen again?