News and Notes:
- Bennie Clubs - If you child signed up for Run Club, Astronomy Club, or Garden Club, please be sure to sign up for the specific club's Remind. This easy communication tool helps us keep you informed of any changes or updates from the club.
- Scholastic Book Order - Our last book order is due on Friday, May 6. Forms went home today. You can order online or complete the paper forms.
- Eastern Market - Saturday, May 7 will be an optional family field trip to Eastern Market. If you are able to join me at the market, we'll meet at 10:00 and I'll have a scavenger hunt for the kids to follow as you explore the market as a family. A flyer should have come home with your child.
- Mstep & NWEA - Our MStep and NWEA dates are set for May. If you are interested in learning more about what types of questions the kids will be asked on the mstep, click here to access sample tests. The first test next week will be the NWEA computer adaptive reading test.
What are we Learning:
- Math - This last quarter we will be dealing primarily with geometry and measurement and data. We will be working hard all the way until June 16, but our math mstep is scheduled for May 17. The kids will be using IXL math and Khan academy to gain some exposure to concepts that we won't cover completely until after our test.
- Daily 5 - We have begun listening to daily essays from NPR's "This I Believe" series in preparation for writing person belief essays.
- Science - It's life science galore! Ecosystems ... metamorphosis ... animal adaptation ... predator/prey relationships. Oh my!!!
- Social Studies - We are starting to turn our attention to our last Social Studies concept. Economics. Our geography Skype Day will be on May 13. Look for the flyer in your child's backpack.
- Cooking - Next week we'll have a pasta bake off ... Claire's Spaghetti Carbonara vs. Owen's Mac and Cheese! Yum!!
- Monday, May 2 - Run Club 3:30-4:00
- Tuesday, May 3 - Astronomy Club 5:30-6:30
- Wednesday, May 4 - Sports and Fitness Club
- Wednesday, May 4 - Garden Club 3:30-4:30
- Thursday, May 5 - Empty Bowls Event Bennie Art Room 6:00-8:00
- Thursday, May 5 - PTA meeting 6:30pm in the Cafeteria
- Friday, May 6 - Bennie Spring Garden event 6:00
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 2 sticks butter
- 8 oz diced ham
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup shredded parmesan
- 1 small bunch parsley
- 1 pound macaroni
- 1 medium onion
- 1 quart half and half
- 1 1/2 cup sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 cup yellow cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mozarella cheese
- 1/2 block of Velveeta cheese
- paper plates
What is the energy source of all food webs? Are worms composers or decomposers? (decomposers). What are some things worms can and cannot eat?
It has been such a fun couple of weeks in Room 107! I am so grateful to work with such a hard working, inquisitive, engaged group of kids. My highlight this week is the energy that is bursting out the door of Room 107!