News & Notes:
- Testing - As of May 19th, we are finished Mtep testing. Next week we'll wrap up our standardized tests with the Math NWEA MAP test and a final Harcourt assessment. Whew! The kids have been working really hard to show all they know on these tests!
- Last day for Run Club is Monday, May 23rd!
- Progress Reports - All progress reports have gone home. Please sign and return them.
- Scholastic Summer Reading - the best thing you can do to help improve your child's reading is to encourage them to read ... read ... read! To help with this, Bennie is once again participating in the Scholastic summer reading challenge. Because this is a national challenge, students can start logging summer reading minutes NOW ... as we learned on our Skype Day, not everyone gets out as late as we do!
- Skype Day - Thank you to everyone who helped us connect with family, friends and classrooms across the US ... literally sea to shining sea and beyond! It was a great learning opportunity!
- Save the Date - information will be coming home next week but I wanted to give you a heads up that I will be looking for family volunteer to assist with our year end/annual Room 107 Geocache the last week of school. I will need 9 volunteers to help lead the kids on a Geocache Scavenger Hunt ... Wednesday, June 15 (with a rain date of Thursday, June 16). I'll send home volunteer request forms next week!
What We're Learning:
- Math -We are focusing on measurement.
- Daily 5 - I have begun final individual conferences to review the reading and writing strategies we have practiced. It is great to hear how they put these strategies into action!
- Science - We will continue to observe all the aspects of Life Science in our courtyard. For the last few weeks, we will also be conducting a variety of experiments with the focus being on the experimental process itself.
- Social Studies - We continue to study economics.
- Cooking - Next week we'll be making Lana's Blue Berry Bread and Alexia's Taco Salad. Only three more student recipes left!
- Monday, May 23 - Last day for Run Club 3:30-4:00
- Tuesday, May 23 - Astronomy Club 5:30-6:30
- Tuesday, May 23 - HS Jazz assembly
- Wednesday, May 23 - Garden Club 3:30-4:30
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups of OJ
- 4 cups of blueberries
- 2 family size bags of Doritos
- 1 head of lettuce
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 pounds of hamburger meat
- 1 pack of shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 packs of ortega seasoning
- What changes have you observed in the Bennie Garden? What is the most interesting thing you have noticed?