News & Notes:
MSTEP - Our Bennie theme for the MSTEP is "Knocking it Out of the Park". I am proud of the efforts our 4th graders have put into preparing for this test. Be sure to charge your child's chromebook for Monday ... a good night's sleep, eating a healthy breakfast and arriving to school on time will all help your child get ready to do their best and show us what they know.
Newbery Project - We'll begin Newbery presentations next week. Your child chose the day they will present. We dedicated time today to practice presentations and prepare for next week. I'm excited to hear about their books.
Dress Code - As the weather is turning warmer, it's a good time to review the dress code. Attached is a letter explaining our elementary dress code.
- Friday, April 15 - No school
- April 18-22 - Newbery presentations. Students chose their presentation dates.
- Monday, April 18 - 4th Grade Reading MSTEP
- Wednesday, April 20 - 4th Grade Math Mstep
- Friday, April 22 - April academic progress report and At-Home Math Practice packets go home.
- Friday, April 29, 6:30pm - PTA Family Dance
What we're Learning:
- Writing - We are putting it all together. Students are asked to write a minimum of two paragraphs, follow conventions such as punctuation and capitalization and provide details or evidence to support their main ideas.
- Reading - We have been focusing on reading comprehension and summarizing. Evidence, evidence, evidence - your child is asked to give examples from the text to support their answers. Book Clubs are back after a slow down to allow time for the Newbery Project.
- Brain Friendly Reading - Ask your child to tap the charts for you. We continue to use the phonics skills developed in this program to improve spelling, writing and reading comprehension. Check out their youtube videos for more information on this program.
- Social Studies - We will end the year with a study of Economics.
- Science - We are investigating the phenomena of how these Dorito bags ended up on a beach ... ultimately studying waves and weather.
- Math - We will end our year continuing to develop mastery of multi-digit multiplication and long division, while focusing on measurement and geometry.
- What is your plan to do your best on the MSTEP next week? What "mindful moments" can you use to help you pause and refocus on your test?
- We won the Golden Tray award in the cafeteria!
- We won a trip to the Book vending machine for our great hallway behavior!
- Our "field trip" to the Michigan State Capitol was a lot of fun!