News & Notes
- Progress Reports & Literacy Proficiency Reports - Monthly academic progress reports and our winter Literacy Proficiency Reports went home today. Please let me know if you have any questions regarding either report.
- Lansing Field Trip - Our Lansing Field Trip is on March 11th. Permission slips and field trip information forms went home today. This field trip is always a highlight of 4th grade.
- Science Night and Bingo for Books - Next week will be a fun filled week in Bennie Elementary. I hope you are able to attend one or both of these great events. See the flyer below for details about the science night.
- Tues, Feb 25 - Bennie Science Night 6:30pm
- Wed, Feb 26 - Sports & Fitness Club
- Fri, Feb 28 - Bingo for Books at 6:30pm
What We're Learning:
- Reading - Our focus next week will be on "tuning into interesting words" and academic vocabulary. We will have a vocabulary quiz next Friday.
- Word Study - As a reminder, students are welcome to take a retest if they are willing to practice the words and would like to try again.
- Writing - We finished reading "Shipwreck at the Bottom of the World" and are wrapping up the unit with a newspaper writing assignment. Using vivid language in our own writing is a goal.
- Math - We are practicing division daily and are wrapping up our fraction unit by working on multiplying fractions. Division can be tricky for 4th graders. We have used a variety of strategies to solve long division problems. In their mailbox was a new game that I am encouraging students to try at home as well.
- Science - We have been investigating how the earth changes rapidly and the impact of natural disasters. Our "stop natural disasters" game has been a big hit. Give it a try here.
- Social Studies - We have started our unit on the United States government and the U.S. Constitution.
- Cooking - We'll be making Rylie's Fideo soup this week.
- Classroom Community - This week we read the book "I am Love" by Susan Verde. This book had so many connections to things we have talked about in class this year - from "brave breaths" to Dr. King to other books about compassion. Ask your child what connections they made.